Friday, November 07, 2008

Updates

Tech is pretty much over and we're in a really good place to open tomorrow night. The week has been a little hard, with long hours and knowing it's my last one. As much as I might complain about it, tech is actually my favorite part of the production process, even more than performance. It's when everything starts coming together and you can see the work that all these different people and shops and departments have done in different places and different times all start to work as one unit. As a stage manager, it's when the show becomes yours and you start to take control of the rhythm and timing. It's also usually when your patience and professionalism will be challenged and pushed to its limit - lots of people working long, sometimes frustrating hours, and decisions need to be made and implemented quickly. Tempers get short, muscles get tired, feet get sore, and you have to keep everyone wanting to give their 110%. It's hard, it's exhausting, and I love it. Rehearsals can get boring. Performance runs can get boring. Tech is a lot of things, but it's never boring. I will miss it. I hope that whatever I do next has that same sort of challenge to it.

Speaking of what's next, I am still sending out lots of job applications and have only had two turn-downs so far, but also no positive responses. The staffing place that was recommended to me seems great, but they say January is too far away right now and to check back later. Ugh. I thought the point was to start now so that when January came, I didn't have to worry. Oh well. I understand that they can't predict needs in advance any more than I can. I have an appointment on Monday morning to go talk to an advisor at the VAFB Embry-Riddle campus and get more information about costs and class work. They offer a degree in Technical Management with a few different specializations, including Engineering Sciences, which I am really interested in. I hope to have more news soon.

CP2 is so close to being done, but I've barely had five minutes at a time to work on it. I have both Monday and Tuesday off next week (no classes on Monday night, either =( ), so that should be enough to finish that right up and get crackin' on the next. Woo! I suppose that means I should actually plan out the next one then, huh? This one *is* turning out a little longer than I had expected, though, which might be a good thing, or it may be ridiculous, and I won't know until I see the recipient with it - there is at least a 6" height difference between us, so gauging what the right length should be is difficult. But too long is an easier fix than too short, so I'm not too worried.

And in a quick look around blogland, congratulations to Amanda on her engagement and Inky on her 5-year anniversary!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

2 comments:

Kathleen C. said...

Wow. Take a week (or so)off blog reading due to dress for our largest show all year, combined with my worst bronchitis in years, and look how much can change...

I'm sorry to hear that your job is ending and glad to hear that you're moving on and hopeful to hear your voice of optimism and eager to continue to hear of your progress...
I like your final quote today...
May we all end up where we need to be.

KT said...

Yikes, I hope you are feeling better!!

We open tomorrow, thank goodness! What show are you working on now?