Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Toothless

Well, it's over. I now officially have six fewer teeth in my mouth than I used to, and boy, does it feel WEIRD! I knew I would be nervous about the anesthesia, so I purposely went to bed a little later than I should have and also used my sleep aromatherapy soap when I took my shower in the morning. I figured being sleepy going in would help me relax. (The surgery was at 8:30a up in AG, which, as you know, is WAY too early for me to be awake anyway!) I think I almost fell asleep in the chair before they ever got around to starting the IV! Finally, the dentist came in and gave me the anesthesia, and I remember him saying, "Okay, you should start to feel sleepy in about thirty..." The next thing I knew, the nurse was telling me she needed me to open my eyes and I told her I didn't want to. She said I was only under for about half an hour! Luckily, I seem to have inherited my dad's reaction to anesthesia and not my mom's, like my brother did. Mom and Kelly both get really nauseous after they wake up. To Dad and I, it just feels like waking up from a too-short nap. The bleeding stopped after a few hours, and other than some minor discomfort (I wouldn't go so far as to call it pain, but there's definitely something not normal, nothing a regular dose of ibuprofen can't handle, though) and some swelling, I've been fine. I could have gone to class last night if I'd really wanted to, I was feeling that good! (We had pancakes for dinner last night.) Mom wouldn't let me, though, of course. Spoilsport. Today, it feels about the same - a little stiff/weird and a little swollen, but nothing major. Toast is still a little difficult for me to eat, so I had some of the tapioca my dad made last night for breakfast. I think we're going to go up to Pismo today and grab some clam chowder from Splash Cafe, which should be easy to eat as well. Should be fun!

Oh, and in other news, I'm really leaning towards taking this job with the Air Nat'l Guard - they're offering a really nice enlistment bonus, they'll pay for my degree, and they can guarantee me a job here at VAFB (in fact, my technical training will take place at VAFB, as well). The ONLY problem is that I'd have to go to Texas for two months for Basic Training and then I'd have to live in the dorms at VAFB for another 4-6 months during Tech Training, and I don't know what to do with Teddie. I'm pondering subleasing my apartment to maybe a student or intern, depending in what time of the year I go, and having cat-sitting be part of the arrangment. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I have to go in and take the ASVAB next week, and I have to score a 60 or better on the electronics section to qualify for what they need. When I did a practice test, I scored at 45, so I'm going to go see if the library has any study guides for me!

No comments: