Monday, August 06, 2007

teaching, me?

I'm bad. I didn't make it to knitting this morning. Sorry ladies! I missed you! I just completely slept through my alarm and it was too difficult to get out of bed this morning. In fact, I ended up going back to bed around 4:00p and sleeping for another hour or so before class. So drained and lazy today! And I won't be able to go next week, either, as I'm supposed to be in LA by 10:00a on Monday. I'm trying not to think about how early I'm going to have to get up to get there in time.

I do have something fun to report, though. One of my interns asked me to teach her how to make socks! She picked out some yarn from my stash (it's not like I am starving on sock yarn) - KnitPicks Dancing - and borrowed a pair of my needles. I'm pretty much just showing her my favorite way of doing socks - toe up, magic loop, we haven't decided on a heel yet - but trying to impress upon her that there are many different ways to do them in case she isn't comfortable with these techniques.

We're just doing plain stockinette socks. Yes, we. I had to start a pair to show her, right? And my HSS2 yarn, while finally having been located and is in the process of being resent, has not arrived yet. (Truly, though, the seller has been great, it was a simple UPS mistake, no hard feelings and I'd recommend her!) So I was stuck *ahem* with this:


My pair is in my new KnitPicks Felici. I have to say, I ADORE this yarn! It's a lighter weight than Bearfoot, but just as soft, if not softer, and I really like the stripes. It might just be me, but striping yarn seems to make socks go faster - like being able to watch the stripes change somehow makes the distance smaller psychologically. And did I mention that the yarn is soft? And I adore it? I'm totally going to have to get more. Probably the reason I'm not starving for sock yarn, eh? Too bad I'm pretty close to flat broke right now. Luckily, I have the shows with John next week to make some money. Mom and Dad are coming out and meeting me in LA next week, too, and we're going to go to Disneyland that Wednesday! Yay!

I still haven't done the armbands on the vest, although I did stop in the LYS and get an extra skein of yarn for it. I figure I should trust Murphy's Law on this - if I don't get an extra skein, I will need it, and if I do get one, I won't need it. I'm saving the receipt.

TKD after the cut

Class was really....calming...tonight. Like I said, I was dragging and exhausted most of the day, so I was rather dreading it, but once I got there it just felt so good. Viv was my partner again and was pretty relentless on me during kicking drills - my kicks are getting higher, but they aren't THAT high! She has amazing hook punches, too. I got randomly attacked by Sir during self-defense but managed to get through it. Oh, and the board break? Brown board, second kick. I think it is the angle and height. I wanted to try it again after class, but Ma'am suggested I just leave it be. She really doesn't want me to bruise my foot before testing on Saturday, I guess. I'm actually feeling good about testing, and am not doing a pickup this week. I am going to make sure I work through my form and sparring segments several extra times this week, though. I really hope I don't pick up another cold from the kiddies this time!

Now I gotta dig up my paperwork for John - apparently we're having a phone meeting in about five minutes. Yay.

1 comment:

Kim said...

How do you put a cut in your blog entry?
I didn't got either on Monday; maybe next week for me!