Thursday, February 15, 2007

Finally! Some Knitting Content!

So I've kept The Inspector very busy lately:



Note that he's using my DMC floss organizer as a pillow. That, unfortunately, has not been used in the past few days. I'm sure you'll understand in a moment. And fair warning, if you do not like blue, green, and purple, now's your chance to find another blog to read.

First off:

They're done! The second toe came out a little weird. Not sure what I did, but it doesn't bother me enough to fix it. I'm gonna wash them and send them to Mom ASAP. They need warm socks there - they had a real live blizzard the other day! There is a reason I moved to California, you know. I miss thunderstorms, not snow storms!

In the interest of being warm, however, we move to SRSP. I confess to not having touched it since the other night when I finished the increases. I still haven't decided what to do. Maybe I'll just go by the measurements on the schematic? It means frogging some, but starting the decreases a bit early. I did break my yarn diet just barely slightly. I ordered two extra skeins of the MC from KnitPicks, as well as a book called Modern Classics by Louisa Harding. The package arrived precisely the day they told me to expect it - 2300 miles away! They shipped it to my parents' house! I could have sworn that I changed the address back to California after Christmas (I had to order some extra stuff for the Felted Clogs while I was home), but I guess I didn't. Mom's going to take it back to the UPS store and explain what happened. Anyway, I don't need the yarn quite yet, since I'm still working on the sleeves anyway. Tomorrow I'll play with it a bit, if I can tear myself away from:

A new fiber/fabric addiction. Remember how I mentioned a couple months ago (or whenever, I don't remember, exactly) that I wanted to learn to quilt? Well, I am. For some reason, the bug bit me hard the other day and I ended up at the local fabric store. I swear, I have no idea how I ended up there. I flipped through several books and picked out the three colors for the nine-patch. Then I took them home and cut the squares and pieced them last night with the extremely cheap sewing machine I got. Trust me, I'm not kidding when I say it was extremely cheap and you definitely get what you pay for. Honestly, though, my only real complaint is that it is supposed to be able to run on batteries or AC/DC power. Guess what? The AC/DC power adapter that was supposed to come with it didn't. So I have it running solely on batteries and it just doesn't have much 'oomph' to it. I'm thinking part of my tax return may go to a decent quilting machine and a work table. The kitchen island and end table don't really count. But anyway, so I pieced the nine-patch yesterday and then had to go back to the fabric store today to get fabric for the border and backing. And while I was there, I picked out these:

These will be for my first ever Sampler Quilt. I can't wait to start cutting and piecing it, but first I have to finish getting through what I am calling the Water Quilt. I still have to baste, quilt, and bind it. I'm a bit concerned that the sewing machine isn't going to handle the quilting and I'll have to hand quilt it.

This is not to worry, I still love my yarn! Stitches West is in just ten days! I can't wait! And, I'm proud to say, that I have been able to pay for everything - registration, hotel, transportation, food, and maybe some yarn - without using my credit cards once! Woo!

Oh, and I walked/jogged 2 miles today! I went to work on my form at home, got about a third of the way through it, and realized I could not remember for the life of me what the order of the rest of the moves were. Not being able to work on the form for a week bothered me, so I did some research (one of the things I do well) and found an ATA site that includes PDFs of the form and testing requirements. These are the Songahm forms, so if one studies a form of tkd other than Songahm, it's pretty useless. I'm also going to check out sparring tomorrow night. Can't wait!

And what does The Inspector think of all of this in general?


So nice to be appreciated!



No comments: