Thursday, March 06, 2008

Last moments of freedom...

Only a few more days until I go into rehearsals again. On the one hand, it will be nice to be back in a show again. I haven't had my own show since last summer, and Godspell is going to be high-energy, tech heavy, lots of fun. On the other hand, I'll have significantly less time do work on things like this:
Finished the baby blanket tonight. It's about 32"x32", although my blocking board is only 30" wide, so it's blocking at those measurements. A trip through the washer and dryer and some use will stretch it out some, I'm sure. The colors aren't showing up quite as well in the photos, sadly.

I did get to meet Amie from Ravelry and her two charming children the other day when she needed a ball winder and swift. I volunteered mine, so she stopped by before class on Monday. Her little girl brought me these:

that she picked all by herself! (They bloomed yesterday.) And apparently, balance exercise balls are THE coolest toys ever to three-year-olds. I must remember this. While Amie and I had a nice chat, got the yarn wound, and giggled at the kids, Teddie, sadly, did not enjoy the company. This is the first time since he's lived here that children have been around, and apparently small humans are beneath his dignity to deal with. (However, toys and blankets for small humans are apparently fair game, as he's already curled up on the drying baby blanket - it is being covered with another blanket to prevent too much cat hair transfer.)

Tonight was my last FIGHT class for six weeks. Sigh! The guys didn't find out until afterwards, and threatened to give me a sendoff (a two- to five-minute drill of just fending off attackers over and over and over) like they gave Ian when he left for the Coast Guard, but Sir wouldn't let them, since I am coming back eventually. Of course, if his threats for that first class back are any indication, I might want to stock up on some ibuprofen and icepacks beforehand.

Tomorrow is Baby S's birthday party (Mrs. S will be happy to see that I did not get Baby S the set of pots and pans and metal spoons to bang them with that I threatened to - I have a private lesson next week, I'm not stupid!), and I'll try to get some pics. It's also my last night of sparring for a while. I'm going to try to get some of my interns together for mini-golf or something this weekend, too, if the weather is nice. Gotta take advantage of this last weekend of freedom!

I'd also like to point out that, while I may be insane, during this time period last year (end of January - beginning of March), I was bored out of my skull and suffering from a mild insomnia. I was doing one class one night a week, watching too much television (okay, I always watch too much television), and really had no one to do birthday parties and weekends and whatnot with. This year, I've pretty consistently done seven to ten classes per week, not to mention the socialness of being around the people at the dojahng, knitting group, and the fact that our office at work was moved to CBC, which makes it a hot spot for people to drop in for chats. I've been dropping off by midnight or 1:00a pretty consistently. I'm hoping I can get away with not changing my sleep schedule too much with rehearsals - I'm probably going to have to start working out in the mornings. Sigh...

1 comment:

Kathleen C. said...

Nah... I never thought you were insane (not that *I* would want your schedule!). Busy, and physically pushing it, but no more than a lot of athletes do.
In fact, before you even got to that last bit I was reading about the birthday party and your gift joke and I thought "That's so wonderful... she's really got a nice friendship with those folks. And it's a lot better than just vegging in front of the TV."
Seriously... I was way ahead of you there.