Saturday, September 27, 2008

I think I'll eat some breakfast, then change the world!

Or, at least maybe help make a difference in someone's life. I spent the latter part of this morning and early part of this afternoon helping teach the first of a series of women's self-defense seminars offered through the dojahng. I wasn't really supposed to be teaching, I was supposed to be there as moral support for some friends who had said they were coming. However, said friends never showed up (you know who you are!), we had more people show up than expected, and Sir had done something to his shoulder in aikido last night, so I ended up helping out. We had about 20-25 women, I think. A few were from kickboxing, a couple more had kids in the tkd program. We went through all the strikes that we normally do in our haganah warmups (punches, wedge strikes to the neck, elbow strikes, knees), then divided into groups of 2-5 and did two choking attacks and a knife threat. Each instructor (me, Ma'am, Mr. R, Morgan, and Gil) worked with a group, and then rotated so that the ladies could practice on different body types and strengths. Some of the ladies picked it up right away and had some good stuff going on, others had some problems just working up to the idea of hitting someone else. It takes all types, I guess. All of them afterwards said that they'd really liked the class and were looking forward to next month's.

Other than that, not much is going on. After the previous post, I got a chance to talk with AF Guy (who is currently stationed in Hawai'i, the lucky dog), and he kind of brought me back down to earth a little. (He did offer the AF as an alternative career to consider several times, though, which isn't as out-there as it might seem.) I also talked to Chrissy and I may not work on Les Mis in the spring now, and just pick it up for the summer, which would give me a decent break from shows for a while. White Christmas honestly shouldn't be that bad, I just have to live through a month of rehearsals, and then I can go back to having class five nights a week for almost two months straight. Then another month of rehearsals for Midsummer, then three months of class, I hope. So it might work out. Doesn't help the money, but it does help the emotional and mental stress. I miss haganah so badly right now!

Anyway, my allergies are driving me nuts, and I have a show tonight, so I'm going to go take a nap for a while. Go Boilers!

No comments: