Sunday, September 07, 2008

Plotting! Muha!

(ETA: Um, duh...I forgot to mention that I did finally finish my third Olympic project a few days ago. I now have a new pair of socks to wear next week in Solvang, yay!)

Okay...so by my reckoning, I have four projects to get done by Christmas. No, I will not be sharing specifically what these projects are, and no, they aren't for family members (mostly - one person has made a few not-so-subtle hints, and it's actually not the person who reads this the most!). Okay, one of the projects is in the "I want to make something for this person but have no idea what" category, so it might drop to three projects. One project is new for me, but easily do-able. One is a repeat for me (if I can find yarn I like). One is totally new ground and I'm not 100% sure I can pull it off at all, if I even work up the courage to try it. I hearby dub them Christmas Project #1, 2, 3, and 4. I started working on CP #1, the new but easy project, Sept. 1 (not on purpose, that was just the day that I finally got the right gauge going and could start the real project), so the way I figure it, I have four months to do four projects. At the rate #1 is going, this should be plenty of time, if I can do a project a month. #2 will be the new ground project for October (or whenever I finish #1), mostly because if that one takes me longer, I can fudge on the repeat project (#3) and the no idea project (#4). Sound like a plan?

I got to go to the dojahng for about an hour and a half on Friday and just worked on forms. I had the place to myself and it was so nice! I felt like I had actually accomplished something, and was able to focus on things. I hadn't realized how much time had gone by until Sir came back from whatever errand he'd been running. I was able to make it to FIGHT on Tuesday and most of kickboxing on Wednesday, so I haven't been completely out, but it will be good to be back in on Monday night. I can't wait to start my weapons form!

They're also doing a women's self-defense seminar on Saturday, Sept. 27th, from 11:30a-1:00p. I will probably be there, and I have at least two girls from work who have expressed an interest in it (although one did say it looked like fun. "Fun" isn't generally the first word that pops into my head with "self-defense," but whatever). Sir said it will be a lot of the basic stuff we do in haganah, just kind of broken down a bit more and more focused on female sizes and strengths. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can get you more info. I can also get you a discount, if that helps =)

I've also started reading, well, listening really, to Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series (I have the current four books in audio format, which I'm discovering I really love and I really wish the Cast In... series could be on audiobook, because I really want to reread them all before the new book comes out next month, and I just don't have time right now). Anyway, if anyone has thought about checking out the series, if you're really into teen vampire romance, characters you want to slap upside the head and knock some sense into, and lots of angst, this is totally for you. If not, well, check it out - it isn't bad fluff reading - but don't spend money on it (and that's saying a lot, as I'd rather spend money on books than food, usually). I love my friend dearly, and normally agree with her literary tastes, but this is definitely NOT the "next Harry Potter!" Harry Potter does have its angst, but it also is full of literature and history and growing up and learning to stand up for yourself and for what you believe is right. I look forward to the day that I can read that series with my children. This series, so far (I've finished the first two books and am seriously considering just skipping to the end of the fourth one, which is not like me at all), is about a girl who needs to grow up and get over herself. I'd be really, really surprised if it lasted long enough that any children of mine would even want to read it.

No comments: