Friday, February 03, 2006

100 Things About Me

100 Things About Me

1. My birthday is May 11.
2. I have a knack for remembering people's birthdays.
3. I'm in the military - A1C, CA-ANG, 148th SOPS.
4. I hold a B.A. from Purdue University’s School of Liberal Arts. It’s in Technical Theater with an emphasis in Stage Management and a minor in Communications. . I originally went to Purdue to obtain a B.S. in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering before transferring to the SLA.
5. I'm working on a Masters of Aeronautical Science from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University with a focus in Space Operations Management.
6. I work for an illusionist in my copious amounts of spare time.
7. I know what a MUD is and have played one since late 2001, although the player base is dwindling now.
8. In certain online circles, I’m also known as Losari or Khalyn.
9. I’m usually a loner in-game.
10. I grew up in a Christian home, and hold firmly to those beliefs, even though I don’t go to church much anymore.
11. I’m semi-superstitious and fairly open-minded about the paranormal.
12. I think it is arrogant of humans to think that they could be the only intelligence in the universe.
13. I believe that the mind or spirit or soul is bigger than the body, and that “there are more things in heaven and earth…than are dreamt of in our philosophies.”
14. I also believe that the mind is a powerful thing and sometimes imagination can make you see or feel things that aren’t there, and your eyes really can deceive you. Google “optical illusions” if you don’t believe me.
15. I also refuse to seek out or attempt to communicate with anything I don’t understand.
16. My dad got me interested in space and astronautics and star gazing.
17. I have been to Space Camp with my dad as a parent/child thing, and to Advanced Space Academy, both in Huntsville, AL.
18. I would go back and do the Adult Space Academy in a heartbeat, if I had the time and money.
19. I got the internship that brought me out to California the week of my senior finals. I had one week to take my finals and move from Illinois/Indiana to California. I’ve been here ever since (five years this May!).
20. I love both cats and dogs.
21. I love stage magic and illusions, even though I can’t do the sleight of hand stuff. I'm very proud of the fact that I am the only one trusted with the entirety of John's show.
22. My mom taught me to do needlepoint when I was about seven and cross-stitch when I was about ten.
23. My great-grandmother taught me enough about sewing to get the basics and make some doll clothes when I was about nine.
24. I am not as comfortable working with a sewing machine as working by hand, but I’d love to get a small cheap one to practice on.
25. I love fantasy stories. My favorite fantasy authors are David Eddings, J. K. Rowling, Michelle Sagara, and I’m starting to get into Jim Butcher.
26. I absolutely adore the Harry Potter books, and actually rather miss the anticipation of getting the next book.
27. I would have to say that my favorite author, based on number of books that I’ve enjoyed reading, is Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb. I love her trilogies and …in Death series. I love the character interactions and relationships.
28. My favorite colors are, in no particular order, purple, green and blue.
29. I really enjoy knitting socks for some reason.
30. I don’t really like felting things, since I don’t have a washer of my own.
31. I’m really bad about supporting my LYS. Even though the people there have always been nice, the selection isn’t very good unless you like Patons a lot.
32. I can be very lazy and procrastinitic (is that a word??), particularly when I’m bored.
33. I am a good swimmer, have taught swimming and been a lifeguard for years, but am terrified of the ocean. I like going to the beach and watching the waves and listening to them, but not going into the water when I can’t see what’s underneath!
34. Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love decorating for it, wrapping presents, playing and singing carols and Christmas songs, baking, cooking, and just being around my family. I have to be in the right mood to go shopping, though.
35. I’m very shallow when it comes to movies. I like it when there is some witty repartee, decent action/special effects, and the good guys win at the end.
36. I really don’t like philosophical or biographical movies. I like stupid comedy even less.
37. I am a martial artist. I have a first-degree black belt and am working on my instructor jacket in Songham taekwondo. I’m also training in Haganah/FIGHT, an Israeli streetfighting martial arts style, and I recently started aikido as well. I don’t consider myself a fighter, although "my guys" say I am.
38. I love Chinese food and am a chocoholic.
39. I rarely drink soda anymore. It wasn’t a conscious decision; it just doesn’t really sound good very often anymore. I prefer water, juice, or milk. If I have a soda, it's Mountain Dew.
40. I keep the knitting patterns that I’ve printed out in a three-ring binder in sheet protectors. I have tons more saved as favorite websites or as files on my computer.
41. I can physically handle up to ten martial arts classes per week when my work schedule allows. My classmates, and occasionally my instructors, think I’m nuts, but I love it!
42. I have been officially engaged (I had a ring and everything, although no announcements were made) once, and unofficially once. (“When we get married…” kind of talk.) Neither worked out.
43. I love soft things. Clothes, blankets, stuffed animals, yarns, whatever.
44. I hate being cold and I don’t like snow unless I’m indoors and warm.
45. I love thunderstorms. Particularly daytime ones that I can watch and not be tired afterwards.
46. I’m terrified of earthquakes.
47. I could never be a vegetarian.
48. My two favorite quotes are "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." (Douglas Adams) and "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." (M. C. Escher).
49. My favorite Bible verses are Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.” and Hebrews 11:1, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”
50. Zip-up hoodies are the best things ever invented. Fleece ones are ten times more so.
51. I think more people should go to stage productions than movies. At least you don’t have to worry about bad sequels.
52. I think Disney’s last good movies were The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast. The Emperor’s New Groove was pretty good, too.
53. I love music. There is always music playing somewhere around me, when I have any say whatsoever in the matter. I'll listen to pretty much anything, too. I don't really collect it, though, and I prefer the radio or mixed CDs rather than listening to an artist's album.
54. I’ve actually stage managed more shows than I’ve assistant stage managed or crewed. Nothing like getting thrown into the deep end.
55. I have been known to turn jobs down because I got “bad vibes” during interviews, even when I had the job if I wanted it and needed it. I’ve also been known to stubbornly work through bad situations that should have been reported.
56. Most of the major decisions in my life have been based on gut instinct and going on what “felt right,” including going to Purdue, moving to California, moving to LA, working with PCPA and going it the military/going back to school.
57. I firmly believe that you can’t learn stage management from a book or a class, you have to go out and do it and learn it hands-on.
58. I think that trying to define a stage manager or what they do is kind of futile, because it changes from company to company and they can do a lot of different things, ranging from really really petty to really really important
59. I love just going outside on a clear night and watching the stars.
60. I’ve been knitting since 2004. An ME taught me during Hamlet.
61. I am the oldest grandchild on both sides of my family and was the only granddaughter on both sides for twenty years. I was and am spoiled rotten by my grandparents and aunts and uncles.
62. I believe that your attitude towards your situation is more important than your situation.
63. I prefer handmade to store-bought on most things. Furniture, knits, and jellies, particularly.
64. I think the fountains at Purdue made it the most beautiful campus ever.
65. I am too geeky for a lot of people because I enjoy being online and playing role-playing games, but I am usually not geeky enough for the gaming crowd because I’m not that interested in most games and tend to flit through them.
66. I have the basic skills to work in a scene or costume shop and produce something useful, but not enough to do anything really big unless I have someone supervising and advising me.
67. I would rather be too busy than bored.
68. I’m a card-carrying-white-picket-fence-happily-ever-after romantic.
69. I love mythology and legends, although I never got into Arthurian legends. Greek and Roman are my strong suits.
70. I love puzzle games and trivia games.
71. Jewels of the Oracle was probably my favorite PC game ever, but it doesn’t work on my computer anymore. I also like games such as Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy!, and You Don’t Know Jack! Myst is also great, although I sometimes don’t have the patience to figure out all the clues.
72. I’m studying Spanish and hope to become fluent, or at least conversational.
73. I have a book of easy crossword puzzles by my bed so I can do them before I go to sleep.
74. I’m kind of a slob sometimes, but never too disgustingly dirty. I can’t deal with having dirty dishes around for more than about an hour.
75. I don’t consider myself to be artistic at all. I follow instructions or layouts that someone else has written.
76. I have never smoked anything in my life, and have no intentions of doing so.
77. I have been known to indulge in alcohol on occasion, but have only gotten sick once from it.
78. I’m surprised so many of my 100 things have changed in just two years.
79. I’m an expensive drunk and only drink beer with pizza after sparring.
80. I get shy about acting silly around other people.
81. I tend to be far more aware of reputation and control than a lot of other people I know. I’m always the “safe and solid” person who rarely acts too silly or does something too stupid.
82. I love Christmas carols. I start listening to them right after Halloween.
83. My first rule of socializing is to make friends with the bartender. At work, always make friends with the janitor.
84. I have a minor addiction to kiwi-strawberry flavored Propel water.
85. I have an nine-year-old cat named Teddie. He adopted me from the shelter and lets me live in his apartment now.
86. I love candles.
87. My favorite scents are lilac (real lilac flowers – they can’t replicate it properly for anything), citrus, and vanilla.
88. I occasionally drink coffee, but am definitely not addicted to caffeine anymore. (It dehydrates you, which is bad for class!)
89. I enjoy cooking and baking, and don’t get to do it often enough.
90. I really really love Orange Dream Machines from Jamba Juice and Orange Obsessions from California Fresh.
91. I really hate folding laundry and putting it away.
92. I believe people aren’t as classy as they used to be, and it’s becoming more and more acceptable to be rude, inconsiderate, and stupid.
93. I think the best way to get to know someone’s true colors is to travel with him/her.
94. I really hate the grammar and spelling one sees on the Internet and instant messages nowadays. I don’t mind such shortcuts on license plates, though, and applaud some of the more creative ones I’ve seen.
95. I really hate job hunting and having to sell myself to companies. They should just be able to see how awesome I am =)
96. Unnecessarily loud things really irritate me. I have very good hearing. I enjoy hearing things. I want to continue to enjoy hearing things as long as possible, not blow out my eardrums.
97. I also try to be considerate of the fact that you can turn your back on something visual, you can not touch or taste anything you don’t want to, but it’s very difficult and inconvenient to not smell or hear something unpleasant.
98. I have 500+ cable channels, and only watch four (Fox, USA, TNT, and SciFi) on any kind of regular basis. And haven't watched those in a couple months, either.
99. I can watch Law & Order, and any spin-off of it, all day.
100. I prefer talking through email than talking on the phone, in most cases.

3 comments:

Amie said...

Wow. We have an unbelievable amount in common! I knew I'd like to meet you before, but now I REAALLY want to! If you're ever in the Baltimore/DC area....

Oh, and my husband works primarily in explosives and has done forensics work, so watching those CSI shows is a trip. In fact, he used to teach explosives in the military and every once in a while if he had a cocky class he'd give them an exam where ALL the wires were red. :D

KT said...

lol...I always wondered why the bad guys never figured out to just make all the wires the same colour! That's great! =)

hmm...of course, we couldn't be any farther apart! maybe we'll have to meet in the middle somewhere someday! =)

Krista Long said...

I am not sure how I stumbled on your blog, but I am enjoying it. It has made me homesick, though. I am a transplant from Lompoc to Phoenix, AZ and on a 95 degree day, I miss home My mom used to own a yarn shop in Lompoc, but that was in the 90's. We have a lot in common, including cross stitch and more projects than can be done in a lifetime..
Also that lingering in-between geekiness...
Great 100 things :)