Saturday, September 24, 2005

Self control...

Is something I apparently don't have. In the slightest. I know I'm on a budget. I know I have at least two trips home (aka lots of airfare) in the next three months. I know I have enough projects ALREADY to last me until New Year's. So what do I do? Place a friggin' order at KnitPicks. Five skeins of WotA (Spruce and Cloud) for some felted mittens (we'll get to that drama in a moment) and a baby booga, and...three skeins of Shadow (Jewels) for ME! For my Tiger Eye stole! So =PPP! It was only $16 total...I mean, really, you can't get acrylic that cheap at Wal-Mart, much less 100% merino wool, right?! So it's really a bargain! Really! (sigh...drool...working with real yarn again...I don't have the aversion to acrylics that some people do, and it definitely has its uses and practicality...but spit splices...felting...ahh....)

Oh, and the whole mitten thing. Sighgrumblemoancomplainwhine. I'm about halfway through the thumb gusset on the second mitten. For the third time. I really don't like the way the knitting is looking on this one (the second one is supposed to be easier, right??), and when I went to try the first one on for reassurance, I noticed the same irritants on that one. I know that they're my first pair, and there is bound to be mistakes on them, but I don't want to give these as gifts. It's loose and holey, and...ugh...trying to decide if I want to just finish them and then I'll keep them for the occasional mitten use I have, or frog it and use the yarn for a multi-dir diag scarf for my mom instead. But, I am still planning on giving her mittens for Christmas. Felted ones. Because felted ones don't have holes, and aren't loose, because the stitches all get felted together. Plus, they're made on much bigger needles and much fewer rows. So hopefully they'll go faster. So that's the plan for that.

Now to go explain to Steve why more yarn will be arriving on our doorstep soon. Any good excuses out there?...

No comments: